January 14, 2010

Common Sense Is So Passé

People never cease to amaze me. I know this is an on-going theme. I should expect people to be crazy and stupid but I don’t. I live in a bubble and people shock me.

With it being the season of resolutions, a common one is to lose weight. It’s a constant topic at my office. Recently, Sparkpeople released a book, outlining their diet plan. My friend went to skim the book at B&N. She seemed angry that there were no gimmicks attached to their (quote, unquote) weight loss secrets. “They want me to eat healthy and set personal goals. That’s not original. I'm disappointed. Have you seen it?” Feeling the need to placate her I apologized and told her I hadn't. I didn’t have the heart to tell her what I was thinking ("well, duh"). Even if there were a gimmick that, say, cured male pattern balding, it wouldn’t work for everyone. Everyone is different.

The reason people make self-help books? It’s to make money. The reason people buy them? It’s to have something to blame when they don’t work.

Characters used = 1,000

No comments:

Post a Comment