January 7, 2010

Movie Violence... In Real Life?

A coworker missed work today. She sits in the back office so we didn’t think much of it. As it turns out, her entire house was ransacked and vandalized. It happened yesterday while she was working. Not only is this upsetting, but it blows my mind. We don’t have a lot of detail, but it sounds like a plot from a movie. I imagine this large, organized gang of thugs ripping through her house. Unless this is more commonplace then I realise. Sure, your car stereo gets swiped or a window gets broken, but for everything in your house to be stolen?

To make the story sadder, she bought the house less than six months ago and spent hours putting in new flooring, windows, etc. I’m hoping the chatter I’ve heard is worse than what actually happened, but the best-case scenario is still a home burglary.

I’m not sure how I would react. A lot of things don’t bother me, but I love my stuff. I’m not ashamed to admit I’m materialistic. Plus I sleep in my house. People can mess with me when I’m asleep.

Characters used = 1,000

No comments:

Post a Comment