April 8, 2009

Why So Serious?

Just when I start to think that I've heard everything, something new comes along. Today a walk-in surprised me. He comes in and causally chitchats. It turns out he was representing a cleaning service. What made him strange was his approach. He was so sad. Actual conversation:

Him: Who does your cleaning?

Me: We do that in house.
Him: Really? Why would you do that to me? I have no business because of people like you.
Me: ...

When I spoke with him further, he reveled that he didn’t like his job. He then asked for a card to show that he "did his job”. I'm not convinced he'll follow up on anything.

The pity pitch was such a backwards approach. I told him he was the saddest salesman I've ever seen in my 4 years. He countered that he could have been even more pathetic. I hope he was serious about leaving his job. He has no business being a salesman. It would be a win-win for everyone.

I think I might recommend the “I'm a pathetic puppy dog” sales pitch to the president.

It's new anyway.

Character used = 1,000

No comments:

Post a Comment