April 2, 2009

Bribery Is Your Friend

When do aging people start becoming rude? Do all aging people become rude? I sure hope not. Lately, I’ve noticed a disturbing trend. Some sales reps or salesmen I’ve known for years are becoming ornery. They’re using our good business relationship to demand crap from me.

I deal with a lot of people. All day. Everyday. When dealing with them my goal is to keep them in the same mood or better. As a receptionist, people are my top priority. Treat them first and with respect. This often works. The real jerks are few and far between.

For the record, I’ve been here long enough to know how I should be treated (and have more confidence to boot). I will admit I play favourites. If I know and like you I will go out of my way to help you. There is no reason to start demanding. Bribery is much smarter. You bring me chocolate? I will find who or what you're looking for. Please think twice before using a patronizing tone. A quick hello and who you’re looking for is a win-win for everyone. Promise.

Characters used = 1,000

No comments:

Post a Comment