May 6, 2009

I Hate You Too, Adverbs

Homework is a lot of work! A coworker’s grandchildren came in today and we tried to help them do their homework. I helped the older one with a poem, while he helped the younger one with her math. Then she needed help with her English. We both speak it, I like to proofread, no problem! The question that stumped both of us: What’s an adverb? He sent her to ask me, so I looked it up. I told her it modifies a verb. Her response: What’s modifies? It took 3 employees to help a 9-year old do her homework. Why do you need to know the parts of a sentence? This is why I’ll never be a good writer. I only care if the sentence is complete, not how.

School was a struggle for me. If I worked hard, I would do relativity well. Courses that bored me and confused me had no hope. Like social studies, I hated that class more than anything. It was full of boring facts and people I couldn’t remember.

Homework is what you put into it. I realise that now. I also realise I’m not smarter than a 5th grader.

Characters used = 1,000

2 comments:

  1. Lolly lolly lolly we've got adverbs here! (That's the only way I every remembered... and I'm a teacher) =P

    ReplyDelete
  2. That's new to me. It's amazing how learning crutches stick. I still make L's with my hands to figure out left from right. :)

    ReplyDelete